You have an intimate friend who loves you and is devoting your lifetime to helping you thrive. Your spirit guide operates in your mind, coaches and encourages you, and patiently helps you to learn and grow spiritually. Your primary guide is your biggest fan! And perhaps best of all, your guide is your intimate connection with the Godhead. I wondered as a child how God could answer the prayers of all the world’s children at once, and you likely have wondered about that, too, so it’s good to have this question answered. Since all our minds are aspects of the Godhead, the fact that your spirit guide acts for God in your life is the same as God’s acting directly.
This whole plan looks like perfection to me, so I am surprised to find that there are some to whom the fact that each of us has a primary spirit guide doesn’t feel like good news. My own guide tells me that as this planet’s consciousness vibration continues to rise and more people begin to hear from their primary guides in their waking lives, there is going to be confusion and fear on the part of some for whom this is a new concept. They might worry that God is policing them. They might feel entirely creeped-out. A few might see their spirit guides as invaders to be actively fought. Thomas is sensitive to our need not to overburden people, so he wants to begin this education gently. Here is what he wants to make sure that you know:
- You cannot be in a physical body for long without a spirit guide. Your primary guide’s role is to assist you in making and then in fulfilling your plan for this lifetime; and while most of this work happens in face-to-face meetings while your body sleeps, it also happens throughout the day in little mental nudges and ideas, perhaps in flashes of inspiration, in feelings of anxiety or regret, in a song in your mind, and in surges of emotion. You long have thought these messages were coming entirely from your own mind, but that has never been the case. Your spirit guide is your mentor and protector, your intimate contact with the living God, and the most devoted friend you have.
- Your primary guide deeply understands and completely loves you, no matter what. As you look around and read the news, you can see people giving their guides a hard time, ignoring their prompts to stick to their plans and even doing some terrible things. We have free will while we are in bodies, so we can choose to ignore our guides; but still, they will faithfully continue to try to understand and love and help us. There are cases in the literature where someone has chosen to become so irredeemably evil that a spirit guide felt overwhelmed and chose to be replaced by a being more senior; but such cases are rare. Your spirit guide’s own development will be aided by your spiritual growth, so there is no one in heaven or on earth who is more eager to see you thrive!
- Your spirit guide will work with you in whatever way makes you most comfortable. If you prefer to work with your guide beneath your daytime radar, nearly always that will be just fine, the exception being when you are balking at doing something your guide thinks is important. It was because I was refusing to follow a key aspect of my plan to help others that my primary guide first broke into my life to insist that I write Liberating Jesus. But if after having been directly reminded that I had promised to help with that book, I still had chosen to refuse the role, my free will would have been respected. Thomas tells me now that someone else would have been found to complete my task. And he still would have loved me, regardless!
Having a spirit guide is not optional. I long have believed that being in a body without a guide is incompatible with life, but Thomas tells me now that there have been a few people who have adamantly refused guidance. Apparently, though, if we manage to drive away every guide who tries to help us, we will begin a rapid decline. The consequence of your rejecting all guidance would be your deterioration and early death.
So even if the notion of having a spirit guide makes you uncomfortable, I hope you can learn to enjoy this relationship that exists to help you make the most of this lifetime.
And if you are game to try for a more interactive daytime relationship with your guide, here are some tips on how you might begin it.
Ask questions at night and look for answers in the morning. This is the easiest way to request the help of your primary guide, and it works so well that for most of my life it was the only way I ever reached out to Thomas. Whenever you want to involve your guide, simply state a question clearly as the last thing you do before falling asleep. Then pay attention to your first thoughts in the morning. In fact, pay attention to those first thoughts even if you haven’t asked a question, since on occasion your guide will want you to remember something from your nightly meetings. Be patient when it comes to questions asked, since it can take as much as a month or more for this method to begin to work well; but once you and your guide have synced the process, you never again in your life will make a major decision without first “sleeping on it.” Your guide will continue to nudge you in the daytime, and if you don’t want to think of your spirit guide as a separate being, you can just keep on assuming that those little nudges and flashes of intuition are coming from your own mind. So long as you continue to follow your plan, your guide will be happy to work beneath your radar.
Consider whether you want your primary guide to be more of a separate presence with whom you can actively interact. If you want that, you can have it; and your first task will be to learn to tell the two of you apart! I still consider myself to be as psychic as a post, so if I can do this, so can you. To begin it, tell your guide aloud that you are trying to better perceive his daytime communications. Don’t assume that your guide is reading your mind, since our guides try to give us personal privacy. Once your guide knows what you are attempting to do, then give yourself a number of weeks during which you will:
- Check for his presence often. I soon realized that whenever I checked, he was just behind my left shoulder. Even if I was against a wall! “Thomas?” I would think, and there he would be, as distinct a feeling as if a living person were standing there.
- Pause often and feel for your guide’s reaction to whatever you are saying or doing. This really helps you sort your thoughts from his. I tend to be impulsive and grandiose, but Thomas is a much more careful thinker; like all guides, too, he is in active possession of his eternal mind, so he is a whole lot smarter! He is coaxing me now to write on my own so he is respectful about making changes, but I am so aware of him and I rely so much on his wisdom now that I won’t post a blog entry or submit any other piece of writing until he is at peace with it.
- Accept the fact that what you think of as your own intuition actually comes from your guide. Assume you have no intuition! When you have an uneasy feeling, when you feel attracted to or repelled by an idea, when you reflexively like or dislike someone, those feelings are probably nudges from your guide. And your guide is generally right. When you have made a firm habit of continuously checking and relying upon your guide’s opinions, everything in your life is going to be easier!
- Learn to interact smoothly with all your guides. Many of us have additional guides, each of whom has a limited purpose. They generally work through our primary guide, so we seldom are much aware of them. In some cases, though, we might have a separate team of guides who work more independently under our primary guide’s control; and in my case, I have a fiction-writing team that is headed by a woman named Marvina. I have been play-writing fiction for forty years, for the fun of it and also because Marvina says it relaxes me. Perhaps you also have a team that helps you with some special interest or hobby, but in all things your primary guide is going to be foremost in your life.
- Your guide’s help might make you feel at first that you just have an overactive imagination. In fact, what we think of as our imagination seems to be where our guides blend with us, to the point where therapists who are seeking information from our guides will simply ask us to imagine that our guide is talking. Then sure enough, he does exactly that.
- Try to accept your guide’s personal preferences. After all, our guides are people, too! They will try to abide by our preferences, but their work with us will go more easily if we will eventually learn to defer and let them lead this dance. Thomas is serious by nature, so he didn’t much like having to answer my trivial questions through a medium; it also irritated him no end that I kept wanting to talk about Thomas Jefferson. He was a good sport at first, but before long he was refusing to speak with me through any medium. I sulked. But he was adamant, so at his insistence I followed the steps that he has outlined for us here, and I have to agree – he is smiling to see me admit this – that now our relationship does work better.
Give this new stage of your relationship with your primary guide sufficient time to grow. It took me months of careful testing before I was sure that I was hearing Thomas and understanding what he was saying, and it likely will take you awhile as well. At this point I trust him more than I trust myself, but as with friends in bodies our trust in our guides has to develop over time. Don’t push it! And try not to fall in love. Beings who are not in bodies tend to express a preferred gender even up to the vibratory level of the Godhead, and many spirit guidance pairs are cross-gender. To discover unexpectedly that there is a member of the opposite sex who is interesting and very bright and is devoted to loving and guiding you creates a situation that is almost tailor-made for you to fall in love. During our period of communicating through a medium, I was kind of crushing on Thomas, which irritated him since he still sees me as his male comrade through many lifetimes. You likely won’t have the added burden of knowing your guide has had a famous past lifetime, so for you this process should be easier.
This method of developing an active daytime relationship with your primary guide works well even if you are not a sensitive and your guide is like Thomas, who prefers to act within. Some guides, though, are much more open. As the consciousness vibration of this planet rises, I am hearing from people whose guides are speaking directly to them now, and upon receiving an invitation they are almost taking over their proteges’ lives. If this happens to you, then it’s fine to invite your guide to lead the dance. Be very respectful. And be grateful. For these beautiful beings to be devoting so much of themselves to helping you and me is the greatest possible gift!
Canopy of Trees photo credit: mag3737 <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/50318388@N00/46349833485″>Canopy</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/”>(license)</a>
War Face photo credit: smileham <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/58472333@N00/3358153294″>17/365 War Face</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/”>(license)</a>
Female Guide photo credit: VladimirTro <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/149732725@N08/34708845702″>Anna</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/”>(license)</a>